Montag, 30. Juli 2007

I lost my sole in Canada ...

There is no such thing as "Nature" - no primoridal, untouched Other as the Western imagination would like to have it, anyway. Even seemingly untouched places are full of toxic chemicals and affected by climate change. Even entirely 'natural' forests are only standing because of decidedly human decisions. But - smelling nothing but a forest, feeling nothing but the steps you take, and seeing nothing but rocks, trees and streams for miles on end - well, it is my idea of a holiday. So, I indulged over the last two weeks in many beautiful hikes in the rugged Canadian Rocky Mountains ... Together with my best friend from school, the first three day trip took us to Floe Lake and Tumbling Creek - both spots that are nothing short of earth-shatteringly beautiful! Despite their beauty, I was a little concerned at the end of the second day, that I may have to spend more time out in the woods than I had bargained for.... Having opted for the old - tried and tested, I thought - pair of hiking boots rather than the new ones - which I had not yet 'broken in' and were thus bound to give me blisters - I found myself a 'man without a sole' as we arrived at the campground. The soles had, well, simply come off. I was seriously concerned that I may have to hike the 12 km down to Highway 93 in sandals ... Luckily, an American family that did the same hike as us, but were rather better prepared (ok, they had climbed Kilimanjaro last year ...) donated their duct tape to us. The result was miraculous. Properly 'duct-taped in' (I kept singing "Duct tape me in, duct tape me in" to the tune of James's "Don't fence me in"; which my companion suffered with surprising grace ...) - I could hike with a certain nervouseness about the permance of this arrangment, but otherwise as if I had a sole ...! I hereby promise that I will never run a campaign against duct tape - whatever chemicals may be used in their production. But I will always carry duct tape now - just in case I lose my sole again.

This is a view from Tumbling Creek Campground ...

Keine Kommentare: